This year’s Indigenous and Workers of Colour Conference (IWOC) is back this Fall with an amazing lineup of speakers and workshops, connecting our movements in decolonial solidarity within the Labour Movement and beyond! The Equity Committee of the Toronto and York Region Labour Council is proud to present this year’s conference centred on the empowering theme of "Power Beyond the Checkbox: Taking Action as BIWOC." Centering the voices and experiences of Indigenous and racialized workers across the City, this year’s IWOC promises to be the most exciting and empowering yet!
📅 SATURDAY, OCT 14TH
⏰ 8:30AM (REGISTRATION); 9:30AM (CONFERENCE)
📍 SHEET METAL & ROOFERS LOCAL 30, 190 Milner Avenue
It's time to go beyond the surface and reshape the narrative. Our theme challenges us to break free from the confines of token representation and step into our collective power as racialized workers. No more passive checkboxes—this is about dynamic action that changes lives, workplaces, and societies. Taking Power as Black and Indigenous Workers of Colour isn't just a slogan—it's a call to action to bring together our collective power within the Labour Movement and unite our struggles across communities through anti-racism and decolonization.
This year, we are honoured to begin with a drumming opening with Dr. Catherine Brooks and our main panel themed “Beyond Performance: What Power and Action Looks like for BIWOC.”
This year's panel includes:
- Angele Alook, Assistant Professor at York University, Bigstone Cree Nation
- Tina Stevens, President OPSEU Local 102, Loon Clan, Kitigan Zibi Ojibwe Nation
- Joseanne Job, President OPSEU Local 527
- Rokhaya Gueye, Community Partnership Coordinator at Carpenters Regional Council and Ontario Chair of the Sisters in the Brotherhood (SIB) Representative
- Chris Ramsaroop, Assistant Professor New College and Coordinator for the Community-Engaged Learning program at the University of Toronto, and organizer with Justice for Migrant Workers
Our full line of workshops include:
- The Sound of Struggle: History of Music in our Movement(s)
- Decolonizing our Movements across Seven Generations
- Political Action from the Boardroom to the Grassroots
- Justice for Migrant Workers
- Just Transition in a Time of Climate Crisis
Stay tuned as we’ll be announcing the full list of panellists and workshop descriptions soon!
Join us at this year’s IWOC! Come listen to those who are rewriting the rules, challenging norms, and embracing our collective power. Let’s step up, take charge, and shape a labour movement that reflects our strength of unity!
Registration is $85
Please note that payment must be made via cheque made out to the Toronto & York Region Labour Council and mailed to our office at:
- 895 Don Mills Road, Tower Two, Ste. 730, Toronto ON, M3C 1W3
Please register ONLINE with the form below, print and attach to your payment in the mail!
For unions: Individual registrations can be submitted electronically (via the RSVP below). Payment should be submitted in one lump sum by cheque with one copy of the registration form attached.