Join our President John Cartwright at the virtual Climate Jobs and Just Transition Summit will bring together labour leaders, union climate activists, environmental and environmental justice advocates, clean-energy developers, policymakers, scientists, and anyone who wants to build the clean-energy economy of tomorrow with good union jobs. Convening during Climate Week NYC, the Summit will feature speakers and panelists from around the country and around the world.
Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020
Begins at 9am - All day virtual event
Participants can sign up for the full Summit or pick and choose what subjects or speakers you find most interesting.
Sessions will include: “Combating Climate Change, Reversing Inequality,” “Climate Change, Racial Justice and Economic Justice,” “Green Recovery: Building Clean Energy Industries and a Low-Carbon Economy that Works for All” and more.
Sessions will talk about the ways that climate change and inequality are inextricably linked, dig into specific opportunities for bold climate action and building new industries, and engage in a holistic discussion about just transition for workers in fossil fuel industries and their communities.
At a time that calls for public investment on a scale not seen since the Great Depression, let’s make sure that we’re investing in the economy of the future. Let’s make sure we take action at a scale climate science demands. Let’s make sure that we take on three crises at once: the Covid-19 pandemic and resulting economic crisis, the climate crisis, and the crisis of extreme inequality that cannot be ignored.
- Senator Chuck Schumer, U.S. Senator - NY
- John Podesta, Founder and Member of the Board of Directors for the Center for American Progress
- Vincent Alvarez, President, New York City Central Labor Council
- Xiye Bastida, Climate Justice Activist Based in Mexico/New York City
- Eddie Bautista, Executive Director of the NYC Environmental Justice Alliance
- Kyle Bragg, President, 32BJ SEIU
- Marilyn Brown, Professor of Energy Policy in the School of Public Policy at Georgia Tech
- Nikki Budzinsk, President of Budzinski & Partners LLC
- Elizabeth Bunn, Former Director of the Organizing Department for the AFL-CIO
- Sharan Burrow, General Secretary of the ITUC
- John Cartwright, President of the Toronto & York Region Labour Council
- Mijin Cha, Assistant Professor in the Urban and Environmental Policy Dept. at Occidental College
- Beth Cheverie, Market Expansion Coordinator for the New York State Laborers-Employers Cooperation and Education Trust
- Roger Clayman, Executive Director of the Long Island Federation of Labor
- Alana Dave, Education Officer at International Transport Workers Federation
- Lisa Dix, New York Senior Campaign Manager for the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign