Are you a progressive communicator looking for your next challenge? The Toronto & York Region Labour Council has an opening on its small and dynamic staff team to fill in for a one-year leave of absence, with the possibility of becoming permanent. Reporting to the President, the successful candidate will oversee the Council’s communications program and support our diverse campaigns.
This role is suitable for a self-starter with significant communications experience. You will be responsible for managing, executing and evaluating the Labour Council’s communications strategy, media relations and day-to-day communications needs and related data management.
About The Labour Council
Toronto & York Region Labour Council is a central labour body that combines the strength of 130 local unions representing 220,000 union members who work in every sector of the economy. Its mandate is to organize and advocate on issues that are vital to working people throughout the region. For more information, visit labourcouncil.ca.
You are successful when you:
- Manage the Labour Council’s communications strategy, and the deliverables within it
- Provide creative input into organizational projects and plans, create compelling content to achieve strategic objectives
- Identify media relations opportunities, proactively engaging reporters
- Manage all digital assets, including website, social media channels, e-blasts, and Nationbuilder database to build digital organizing capacity
- Act as editor of and produce content for Labour Action, Labour Council’s quarterly magazine
- Oversee the creation of event programs and other publications
- Write and design material for print and digital media
- Support committee work as assigned
- Provide administrative support as assigned
What you bring to the role:
- Significant communications experience (minimum 3 years, with experience working in a labour, political, or advocacy environment preferred)
- Basic understanding of labour values and issues affecting working people
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (a second language is an asset)
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to use full Microsoft Office suite, Nationbuilder and social media channels
- Fluency in cloud-based apps like Canva, Google office, Zoom, etc.
- Experience in design for a variety of media (digital and print)
- Adept at coordinating multiple time-sensitive projects and deadlines
- Punctual, efficient, self-motivated and flexible
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced and results-oriented environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work in a collaborative environment
- Evidence of leadership and initiative, tact, diplomacy, and creativity
- Willingness and ability to be available outside of normal working hours when required
The starting rate for the position is $1,317.50 per week,
Applicants are invited to send their resume and a short cover letter that highlights their relevant experience by January 17th at 12:00 pm to [email protected] . This position is within the bargaining unit of COPE Local 343. Labour Council is committed to providing a fair and equitable work environment and encourages applications from members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities.