Cuts to Legal Aid Day of Action
This Day of Action is coordinated by a community-based coalition that includes The Society of United Professionals, OPSEU, and the Labour Council as well as legal aid clinics and other supporters.
Premier Doug Ford cut Legal Aid funding in Ontario by 30%. It is having disastrous consequences for Ontario's most vulnerable people. The hardest hit include women fleeing domestic violence, refugees fleeing life-threatening persecution, and people facing prison because they can’t afford a lawyer. With community legal clinics facing unprecedented cuts they will be unable to help all of the people who need their help to stave off eviction from their home or to access entitlements like workers' compensation and disability support payments.
Join an event near you on July 30 and be part of the mobilization to stop the cuts and save legal aid.
United for Justice: Save Legal Aid Rally (Toronto)
Get the printable event flyer .
- When: July 30, 2019 7-9:30 pm
- Location: Bloor Street United Church, 300 Bloor Street West, Toronto (one block from the St. George Subway Station)
- Downsview: Forum with TCHC tenants and other residents - Lawrence Heights, 3rd floor (12 Flemingdon Road) - 6-7:30pm; Event for local seniors group; For details on how to participate, contact Downsview Community Legal Services
- Rexdale: Presentation of Community Messaging Banner to Doug Ford's Constituency office. For details on how to participate, contact the Chinese & Southeast Asian Legal Clinic
- Queen/ Parliament: Banner drop over the Don Valley Parkway (12noon). Contact Neighbourhood Legal Services
- Parkdale: Rally and leafletting at King St. W and Jameson Avenue (8:30-9:30am) For information, contact Parkdale Community Legal Services
- Finch W/ Keele: Clinic open house 1315 Finch Avenue West, Suite 409. For more information contact Jane-Finch Community Legal Services
- Keele St/ Rogers Rd: To be determined. For information, contact Unison Health and Community Services (Community Legal Clinic)
- Davenport Road (Carleton Village): Information table at The Stop Community Food Centre's outdoor pizza party (4-6pm) 1884 Davenport Road. Contact West Toronto Community Legal Services
- Scarborough: Leafletting at subway station. For details, contact West Scarborough Community Legal Services
- Scarborough: Community event in front of MPP Raymond Cho's offices at 4559 Sheppard Ave E Unit B, Scarborough. (11am - 1pm). For more information contact Flemingdon Community Legal Services, Scarborough Community Legal Services or West Scarborough Community Legal Services
- Willowdale: Leafletting outside Don Mills TTC Station 1700 Sheppard Avenue East (9-10am). For more information contact, Willowdale Community Legal Services
- North York: JusticeFest at Advent Lutheran Church - Community Garden 2800 Don Mills Road, North York (4-6pm). Contact Willowdale Community Legal Services
Newmwarket: Stop the Cuts Rally at the office of Christine Elliott MPP, 16635 Yonge St. (12-1 pm). For more information contact Amy Brubacher · firstname.lastname@example.org · (905) 508-5018
- Newmarket: Banner drop over the 404 (8am and 4:30pm); Button and information handout - York Regional Courthouse; Protest Event - 16635 Yonge Street, Newmarket (Noon). For details on how to participate, contact the Community Legal Clinic of York Region
Find more events at https://www.stoplegalaidcuts.ca/