On May 6, 2021, the Toronto and York Region Labour Council adopted two new policy statements.
In the first, titled, "Democracy is the Essence of Our Movement," the Labour Council resolved to:
- Oppose amendments to the CLC Constitution which would deprive local unions the right to select Convention Delegates.
- Communicate with affiliates and Labour Councils across the country on this vital issue.
The second policy statement, called, "Making Good Trouble: Dismantling Systemic Racism," resolves that the Labour Council will:
- Work with affiliates and community allies to integrate these recommendations into their strategic work
- Use every opportunity to engage with public institutions and all levels of government around an agenda of racial justice
- Continue to urge affiliates to do the internal work outlined in the Yes It Matters campaign and utilize the Leaders Guide to Equity to make real change within their structures
Click each link above to read the new policy statements in full now. You can also view all policy statements published by the Labour Council right here.