There are times in life when you have to stand up for what you believe in.
Across Ontario, teachers and education workers are doing just that – standing up to the bullies at Queen’s Park who want to undermine the quality of education in this province.
The Conservatives are imposing increased class size in Grades 4 through 12, resulting in poorer learning conditions, the loss of thousands of teaching positions, and a reduction in the programs available for current and future students. They want mandatory e-learning to replace classroom teaching. And, they are cutting back on supports for students with special needs.
These are the issues at stake as teachers and education workers take job action.
The Conservative government is making deep cuts to education and social services in order to pay for tax breaks for corporations and wealthy individuals. That agenda is guaranteed to lead to turmoil and disruption – and every community will be affected.
It’s time for the Conservatives to bargain in good faith and abandon their approach of half-truths and confrontation. It’s time for everyone in Ontario to tell this government that it is wrong.
Working families know why we support teachers and education workers. We all want quality education that will give every student what they need to succeed.
Print and Share these Bulletins with your Union
Join a Picket Near You
We encourage all union members to show their support for education workers on the front line of this fight.
STRIKE DATES FOR TORONTO AND YORK REGION THE WEEK OF JANUARY 20-25
MONDAY, January 20:
- All public elementary schools will be closed as ETFO teachers in Toronto (TDSB) and York Region (YRDSB) strike. There will be pickets outside most schools, school board offices, and Minister Lecce’s constituency office. This is the first day of a week of rotating strikes across the province for ETFO.
TUESDAY, January 21:
- All Catholic schools across the province will be closed as OECTA teachers hold their first strike. Pickets outside most schools and Minister Lecce’s constituency office.
- All public secondary schools will be closed in Toronto (TDSB) as OSSTF members strike. Pickets will be held outside most high schools, school board offices, and MPPs’ constituency offices, including Doug Ford’s. Click here to find all picket locations.
More useful links:
- OSSTF’s campaign website, bargainingforeducation.ca
- ETFO’s campaign website, etfocb.ca
- OECTA’s campaign website, knowmore.ca
- Sign the pledge to support educators at ourschools.ca, a new website launched by a coalition of Ontario parents’ groups.
Ontario secondary school teachers are conducting information pickets before and after school and are holding rotating one-day strikes. Download the info flyer in any of 7 languages:
Labour Council is working with a coalition of York Region students, parent groups, education unions, and community members to advocate for strong public education. The coalition has hosted tailgate-style barbecues in the ridings of key Conservative MPPs, including Minister of Education Stephen Lecce, and will host its first Town Hall event on October 28. Visit the website to sign up for email updates and to see what's happening!